[sldev] Concept of "loaded avatar" was changed?

Carlo Wood carlo at alinoe.com
Wed May 13 04:26:37 PDT 2009

On Wed, May 13, 2009 at 06:08:53AM +1000, Tateru Nino wrote:
> I don't recall ever seeing this problem with a companion walking or flying
> across a sim border.

Indeed. So, whatever happens then might be the Right Way
to deal with this when one teleports.

Anyway, to me it seems obvious that the only way to
get this really seamless is by caching the baked textures
of other avatars around you on the viewer, and reusing
them after a TP if no other data is available.

The downside of that is that in those cases that now
we see a permanent cloud or grayness (because something
really went wrong), current we ask that person to
rebake their textures, but now would think we see
them correctly. However that is ONLY a "problem" in
the following case:

- That avatar changed clothing / textures before
    following you; or since last meeting you.
- The normal update fails.

I'd think: concentrate on the latter, which is a bug
to get rid of this "problem" then.
Another way to tackle this new problem would be to
add some hash (ie, in the form of three UUID's for
the head/upper/lower parts) to the quick avatar data
(that now contains their attachments; which seem
to load always rather quick... quickly enough for me).
Then my client would get those 'hash(es)' very quickly
after a TP (as quick as currently the AO animations
or attachments of the other avatar) and see that
the clothing didn't change and therefore without
any problem can start to show the cached clothing.

Bottom line is: the viewer has to cache bake textures
for other avatars until that avatar is out of sight
too long.

--
Carlo Wood <carlo at alinoe.com>