[sldev] RLV breakage, derivative works, and non-GPL patches

Aidan Thornton makosoft at googlemail.com
Sat Jun 27 13:31:47 PDT 2009

Hi,

On Tue, Jun 16, 2009 at 4:48 PM, Marine Kelley<marinekelley at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Sorry for making this message sound like a rant, but it seems that the RC
> viewer has finally gone gold... without any prior warning. As a result, a
> lot of people are now asking me when the compatible Restrained Life viewer
> will be out, while I have not even finished working on my latest version. I
> am now forced to release a half-done viewer (it is operational, it just
> doesn't have all the features that I had planned to add for 1.23) so that
> people can just keep using it.

Okay, so your Restrained Life patches are closely tied enough that
they break on viewer updates? I could be wrong, but that's probably
not helpful to your argument that they're not derivative works and
therefore releasing them under your non-GPL compatible, non-open
source license[1] is OK. (Especially as you're distributing compiled
viewers containing them too.) I would ask for thoughts from Linden
Labs, but they probably can't comment without contacting legal anyway.

[1] http://realrestraint.blogspot.com/2009/03/rlv-license.html -
forbids modification, distribution of the SL source code with the
patch applied, distribution of binaries that contain both the patch
and any other major changes compared to the official viewer, and sale.
Each of these restrictions is GPL-incompatible.

Aidan