[sldev] PreferredMaturity setting and settings.xml

Kent Quirk (Q Linden) q at lindenlab.com
Fri Jun 12 07:43:40 PDT 2009

Hi, Suzy.

We wanted this flag to be stored on the server, across logins and
clients, because the information needs to be evaluated at the server.
It's also stored in settings.xml for two reasons:

a) It allows us to show that setting during the login process (but,
you'll note, it's not editable there because you haven't logged in yet).
b) The settings system provides a convenient mechanism for access to
user settings information across the whole viewer, and it's the
standard way we do preferences.

Changing it does require a server connection, and the viewer value is
always overridden by what the server knows at login. So yes, editing
it in settings.xml might affect what the viewer does only until next
time you log in at which time it will be overridden. And for any
server transaction, the value that the server has wins.