[sldev] Nice! 3,500+ daily Snowglobe users

Moriz Gupte moriz.gupte at gmail.com
Thu Jul 2 17:44:13 PDT 2009

Hello there,
I absolutely love Snow Globe (too many good things to mention about it) but
I am not sure whether this issue is Snow Globe related or not/or
whether a Snow Globe install interacts with existing SL installs in
some way.
Last night I was very eager to deploy Snow Globe in my lab and gave
instructions to deploy at a remote one. Unfortunately, out of the
blue, I found that my avatars were not rezzing and experienced lost
inventory items (? e.g. failed skin loading, body shapes, and various
avatar items not found). After having checked that the same issue was
happening for other users in my local lab as well, I tried to back
track and...found that even the latest versions of the client 1.22+
were having the same issues. Avatar rezzing and general texture
(inventory items re-appear). I never had this issue before, and it is
a show stopper. Something looks broken for versions > 1.22. In short,
am confused, dont know if the problem is client side, server side, or
SG related.
steps I followed:
1. Install SG, if u see 'failed to load messages' and a gas avatar,
log out, uninstall
2. Install SL versions 1.22+, same problems repeated for 4 different
users. (Event too important to risk it...)
3. Install SL version 1.22, avatar rezz properly but general texture
rendering issues.

On Thu, Jul 2, 2009 at 1:36 PM, C J Owen<john at bangor.ac.uk> wrote:
> Congrats to all the Snowglobe developers, those are impressive metrics
> for such a new release. Onwards and upwards :-)
> Let it snow, let it snow, let it snow....
>
> J.
>

> Philip Rosedale wrote:
> I'll blog about this in a bit, but though you'd all enjoy the attached
> pic from our metrics dashboard.  Usage is at greater than 1% of all
> daily hours/users.
> Crash rate does look to be maybe 40% higher though - about 10 crashes
> per 100 user hours as compared to 7-8 for release.   So we've got to
> keep working on that, but this is certainly good enough to be used.
>
> Good work all.  Love to developers and testers of Snowglobe.
>
> Philip

> http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/SLDev

Rameshsharma Ramloll PhD Research Assistant Professor Idaho State
University, PocatelloTel: 208-282-5333
More info at http://tr.im/RRamloll