[sldev] Build instructions for MS: python 2.6?

Rob Lanphier robla at lindenlab.com
Thu Jan 29 17:44:43 PST 2009

On 1/29/09 12:19 PM, Lear Cale wrote:
> First, the wiki for building has improved dramatically since my last
> attempt.  (I haven't succeeded in building SL since version 19, trying
> yet again.  Last time I got stuck in some library hell.  Crossing
> fingers this time.)

Glad this is looking better to you!  I've been doing some tweaking
fairly recently (based a lot on Robin Cornelius' work), and was
wondering if it was helping or not.

> It looks like things are much tighter regarding dependencies and versions.
>
> Please add the recommended version of Cygwin.  I worked on a project
> not too long ago that had serious problems due to changes in crlf
> handing in some Cygwin version change.

I'd do this except that I think "the latest" is the only guidance I'd
know to provide.  Since Cygwin has independently versioned components

> OK, my question (finally).  On
> https://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Microsoft_Windows_Builds, Getting
> other Development Tools, Python, it says:
>
> "If you are using a version of Python newer than v2.5, you may need to
> change the Python.cmake file. See discussion for details (this change
> was necessary as of 1.21-r99587 source branch). ) "
>
> I can't find this discussion.  It's not in this page, nor in the
> Discussion tab for this page, or the MSVS page or its discussion, as
> far as I can tell.  I'm going to play it safe and backrev my Python to
> 2.5, but it would be nice if someone could fill in the details here.

Looks like Boroondas fixed the link to this today (thanks!):
https://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Talk:CMake#CMake_and_Python_2.6

In your other mail....:
> I get the following running develop.py.
>
> C:\BUILD\SL\linden\indra>python develop.py -G VC80
> Running 'cmake -G "Visual Studio 8 2005" -DSTANDALO
> OL=FALSE "" "C:\\BUILD\\SL\\linden\\indra"' in 'bui
[...]
> CMake Error: Could not find DirectX SDK Include
>
> Visual Studio "Tools -> Options -> VC++ directories -> Include Files"
> has "C:\Program Files\Microsoft DirectX SDK (December 2006)\Include"
> in it, added using the browser so there's no chance of a typo on the
> path name.
>
> I had a later version installed, so I uninstalled it and installed the
> 2006 since that's the version mentioned in the Wiki; did this before
> trying to run develop.py.
>
> Any clue what might be wrong?

Hmmm...where did you find the reference to the December 2006 version of
the SDK?  The "Microsoft Windows Builds" wiki page references the August
2008 version.  Looking at the CMake file will give you a list of the
supported versions;
http://svn.secondlife.com/trac/linden/browser/trunk/indra/cmake/DirectX.cmake

> Thanks again for all the improvements!
You are most welcome!