[sldev] Porting SL to a new platform

Gareth Nelson gareth at garethnelson.com
Fri Jan 2 11:06:18 PST 2009

I've recently discovered the joy of games console development via the
sony PSP (Playstation Portable) and have been pondering an SL port for
it.
Would it be sensible to even attempt a straight port or would I be
better off writing a new client from scratch?

The graphics hardware in the PSP is very much underpowered compared to
the average desktop GPU(2MB of VRAM, able to render 35 million
polygons per second) and  the main processor is a MIPS R4000 clocked
at 333mhz. Ports of both SDL and OpenGL already exist and there is a
full filesystem and netbsd-based TCP/IP stack. The hardware has been
described as being equal to the playstation 2 in many ways.

Whether this port would even be possible depends on how much of the
viewer's dependencies are tied to the x86 platform, performance could
be just about reasonable with low-detail meshes and perhaps even
untextured prims but if there are an x86-specific dependencies a port
is a total no-go and I will need to investigate using mono and libsl
instead.

Thoughts anyone?

Oh, and "hi, i'm back! you may remember me from such virtual world
hosting startups gone bust as Litesim Ltd....."