[sldev] Looking at I18N formatting standards

Tammy Nowotny TammyNowotny at mac.com
Sat Feb 21 06:25:58 PST 2009

Henri Beauchamp wrote:
> On Fri, 20 Feb 2009 18:36:04 -0500, Tammy Nowotny wrote:
>

>> .../... Zulu Time (same as UTC and GMT)
>>

> Ok, time to be anal... ;-)
>
> Zulu time = UTC (Universal Time Coordinated)
>
> GMT should not be used any more in civil (and military) applications.
> This reference (which is based on Earth rotation, and as we now all know,
> the rotation of Earth slows down over time and can't therefore be used
> for a constant measure).
>
> The only legal (and international) time reference is UTC (which is based
> on the atomic clocks measures: over 40 of them located in countries all
> around the world, and coordinated in Paris by the "Bureau International
> des Poids et Mesures" http://www.bipm.org/en/scientific/tai/time_server.html).

Thanks Henri... I was just citing two commonly used terms which mean
(almost) the same thing as UTC :-)

One confusing thing about Greenwich Mean Time is that Greenwich, the
London suburb the time standard was named after, is in fact not on UTC.
London, along with the rest of Great Britain, is on UTC+1 most of the
year and only uses UTC+0 in the winter months.

I also think SL should run on UTC , although  Pacific Standard/Daylight
Time is something of a standard for internet social apps and internet
advertising.  SL uses "Linden Time" for most purposes, but UTC is used
for some purposes, and the typist's local timezone is used for still
other purposes.

--Tammy Nowotny