[sldev] Question: Replacing current group chat with XMPP?

Celierra Darling Celierra at gmail.com
Wed Sep 10 18:15:10 PDT 2008

On Wed, Sep 10, 2008 at 12:24 PM, David M Chess <chess at us.ibm.com> wrote:
> If I'm understanding what Zero said correctly, the problem with IRC scaling
> to SL levels wasn't the number of people concurrently logged into a group so
> much as it was the number of groups that each person was concurrently logged
> into.  And I think that's a rather fundamental difference between the
> use-cases: I believe the average IRC user is only in a few channels at a
> time (heavy IRC users are invited to comment on that!), whereas in the SL
> model one is currently in like 25 at a time, and even when we fix things so
> that groups that don't need chat channels don't have them, we'll also be
> raising the 25-group limit, so I expect that 25-at-once will continue to be
> pretty typical.

This seems to suggest running both systems, shifting the largest
groups to IRC so they at least can have functional group chat (I think
that's still broken, no?).  And if IRC uses much fewer resources, one
might also try using IRC for large rooms not quite near breakage, to
save on resources, as long as it's not enough to start encountering
this too-many-simultaneous-joins problem.  But there are some obvious
downsides, such as having to maintain both systems, and implementing a
way to transition a room up to IRC (and down from IRC, too?).  I'm not
sure how the rewards and costs balance here.