[sldev] Question: Replacing current group chat with XMPP?

Steven Harrison steven.harrison at gmail.com
Mon Sep 8 19:03:37 PDT 2008

2008/9/8 David M Chess <chess at us.ibm.com>:
>  what scales is actual pub/sub.

*waves to David*

I think that while pub/sub model does scale (I'm specifically thinking
of subscribers to an RSS feed, or something along the lines of
Twitter), is it a suitable architecture choice for group IM
conferencing? Wouldn't something more like IRC (as Dahlia mentions) be
more appropriate?  However, I think that pub/sub could easily be done
with HTTP and RSS, but adding in some kind of IRC-esque functionality
would take a lot more work,

2008/9/8 Argent Stonecutter <secret.argent at gmail.com>:
> What if the group owner had to explicitly create a chat channel, and you had
> to explicitly join it, once, after you joined the group?

Yes, and it could be done through the client preferences panel with a
couple of radio buttons like so:

O Join no group chats on login
O Join all group chats on login
O Join specific groups on login:
   O Group 1
   O Group 2
   O Group n

If you keep it on one tab in the preferences panel, you're not
flipping through one page on each group that you belong to turn the
group chat on or off.

Steven Harrison