[sldev] Question: Replacing current group chat with XMPP?

Lawson English lenglish5 at cox.net
Fri Sep 5 21:37:58 PDT 2008

David M Chess wrote:

> > From: "Edward Artaud" <edward.artaud at gmail.com>
>
> > One question I'd ask is does the announcement of SLim and it's
> mechanism for
> > integration mean that it's not necessary for chat in the future to
> use OGP?
> > My understanding is that the SLim integration is connecting you to a
> > separate IM network (the Vivox one) in parallel to your connection
> to the
> > grid.  It should be fairly simple to use this same approach to
> connect to
> > other IM networks such as Jabber/GTalk if LL is now officially using
> this
> > approach to open up IM.  The only challenge would be that some sort of
> > central SL name to (for example) GTalk name database would need to be
> > maintained.  If chat integration can occur purely at the viewer level
> > without all the attendent headaches of going though the grid, then
> it would
> > seem such work could happen fairly quickly, which is undoubtedly why
> LL is
> > now using this approach with it's newly announced features.
>
> There's now some more design strawman stuff for OGP IM in the Wiki;
> see the "simple design example" section on
> "https://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/User:Dale_Innis/Group_IM_in_OGP
> <https://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/User:Dale_Innis/Group_IM_in_OGP#A_Simple_Design_Example>".
>  And (although it's still just a strawman) it basically says pretty
> much what you're suggesting, for Vivox or IRC or GTalk or whatever:
> that OGP only needs to provide enough protocol for the viewer to
> correctly connect to the IM subsystem, and the chat itself doesn't
> need to flow over OGP.
>
> This seems rather sensible to me at first blush: there are enough chat
> protocols out there that it doesn't seem necessary to embed one into
> OGP; and on the other hand the intragrid does have some requirements
> that ordinary chat doesn't (like securely associating a chat username
> with a grid username), so OGP does have a non-trivial role in enabling
> it.  But this is all still very young thinking, and thoughts and
> contributions from all parties are eagerly sought.  (Don't let the
> fact that the Wiki page is in my userspace keep you from contributing;
> it's only there because I was foolish enough to volunteer to create
> the page.  I don't consider myself by any means the Sole Expert on the
> topic.  Dive right in!)

I don't know what the details are, but both Zha and Zero claim that no
existing chat system quite fits the use cases for SL-style chat. I'm
pushing to implement regular SL chat in the OGP for now with the AD
acting as a relay, so 1) we can have a sense of community in the OGP and
2) we can see what actually happens to the current system in an
intergrid/AD world.

Lawson