[sldev] Question: Replacing current group chat with XMPP?

David M Chess chess at us.ibm.com
Tue Sep 2 13:57:59 PDT 2008

Ha, that's what I get for posting before reading.  As I said in a
brand-new thread recently rather than sensibly posting to this one
(because I haven't seen it yet), this "what shall we use for group IM in
OGP?" discussion (which is closely related to a "how can SL group IM be
fixed?" discussion) has gotten serious enough lately that I've started a
Wiki page about it:

https://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/User:Dale_Innis/Group_IM_in_OGP

Comments and contributions are very extremely welcome.  IMHO "just hook it
up to IRC" is overlooking some important details, like exactly how do my
credentials flow from the Agent Domain or SL or whatever to the IRC
server, so we don't lose our current reasonably strong confidence that the
names we're seeing in the IM window are actually the SL names of the ppl
who said the things, and that no one not in the group is listening.  It's
possible that those details are easy to work out, and that'd be great, but
I'll believe it when I see it written down.  :)

Dale Innis
DaleInnisEmail at gmail.com