[sldev] Re: Improving build instructions (Re: cmake: "could not create named generator"...)

Lear Cale lear.cale at gmail.com
Tue Oct 28 10:34:34 PDT 2008

The problem is on https://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Get_source_and_compile,
which starts out with the cmake cross-platform building page.

What we need is a preamble to that, with platform-specific requirements.
Fortunately,
most are covered (though a bit out of date) in the section that follows --
the deprecated
stuff you're recommending we get rid of, "Old (pre-CMake) Build
Instructions".
We need to collect the stuff from there that still applies and move it above
the
cmake page.

Big thanks to Jordiah Jensen and Michelle2 Zenovka, whose pages have pretty
much
all the necessary steps -- but unfortunately end with the same problem,
presumably
"BOOST hell".  Allegedly this is caused by VC++ V9; I'm tempted to back-rev
2005.

BTW, previously the Quicktime SDK was not required, but now it is.  Perhaps
that's
unintentional and could be fixed in develop.py or whatever other files it
uses.

Thanks again
Lear