[sldev] Re: Cannot download installables

Bergen-Hill, Tobin A. tbergenhill at mitre.org
Thu Nov 6 05:21:27 PST 2008

Thanks for the links, Jodiah.  I had previously looked at both of those
CMake Wiki pages, but none had referenced the problem I was
experiencing.  To address your suggestions, I did run develop.py with
the –G option (with VC80 for Visual Studio 2005), but the same problem

There was one thread on the sldev list back in September about the same
problem, but it never got beyond the suggestion to try running
install.py separately to see if it works.  I’ve tried both ways (via
develop.py vs. install.py), and they both result in the same error

bis-1.03-1.1.2-windows-20080613.tar.bz2 to local file

Traceback (most recent call last):

  File "install.py", line 1086, in <module>

  File "install.py", line 1078, in main

  File "install.py", line 601, in do_install

  File "install.py", line 560, in install

  File "install.py", line 112, in fetch_local

    file(self.filename, 'wb').write(urllib2.urlopen(self.url).read())

  File "C:\Program Files\Python25\lib\urllib2.py", line 121, in urlopen

    return _opener.open(url, data)

  File "C:\Program Files\Python25\lib\urllib2.py", line 374, in open

    response = self._open(req, data)

  File "C:\Program Files\Python25\lib\urllib2.py", line 392, in _open

    '_open', req)

  File "C:\Program Files\Python25\lib\urllib2.py", line 353, in

    result = func(*args)

  File "C:\Program Files\Python25\lib\urllib2.py", line 1100, in

    return self.do_open(httplib.HTTPConnection, req)

  File "C:\Program Files\Python25\lib\urllib2.py", line 1075, in

    raise URLError(err)

urllib2.URLError: <urlopen error (10060, 'Operation timed out')>

I am able to directly download any of the URLs, but it times out when
using the Python scripts.  So, it isn’t an ISP problem.

The workaround is to manually download these files into Documents and
Settings\username\Local Settings\temp\install.cache.username.  That
way, the install script will find the necessary files and will skip
downloading.   But it would be great to find a way to avoid this

Side note: CMake requires Quicktime to be installed, but the viewer
compilation instructions for VC++2005 says it’s optional.

Tobin Bergen-Hill

Lead Simulation Modeling Engineer, E526

tbergenhill at mitre.org <mailto:tbergenhill at mitre.org>