[sldev] Re: SL Target Audience

Matthew Underwood sakkaku at gmail.com
Fri May 30 08:48:12 PDT 2008

On Fri, May 30, 2008 at 10:28 AM, Opensource Obscure <open at autistici.org> wrote:

> On Fri, 30 May 2008 09:15:02 -0500, "Matthew Underwood" <sakkaku at gmail.com>
> wrote:

>>> I have no idea on this.  10fps?
>>>
>>>    Alissa Sabre
>
>> 10FPS is unplayable, just try it for a few minutes and see if you
>> don't pull your hair out.
>
> I don't agree with Matthew here: I spent my first months in SL,
> and began to love it, with performances that were in the 1-10 FPS
> range. At that time, I called 'unplayable' <5FPS performances.
>
> When I upgraded my video card, I started to get usually more
> than 10FPS; then I upgraded the whole system, and now I get
> 50+ FPS sometimes, but I still would consider 'acceptable' 10-12 FPS.
>
> This may depend on the fact I'm not a gamer so I'm not used
> to higher-FPS 3D-environments. Lots of residents are/were
> not gamers, though. Different players may have different
> experiences with similar framerate, I'd say.
>
> Opensource Obscure

I came from a background in FPS and time critical MMORPG (where a half
second delay = death).  Some people accept delays on their machines I
guess while others are driven nuts.  The problem is that if your
getting 10FPS standing still, the second you move you will be running
into walls, pushing people around, or falling off of something.  When
I started SL I had 20-30FPS most of the time and it was enjoyable, the
same would not have been true for 4-8FPS.