[sldev] [VWR] Crash on TP from LM on 1.20.14

Robin Cornelius robin.cornelius at gmail.com
Thu Jul 24 13:01:25 PDT 2008

Soft wrote:
> On Thu, Jul 24, 2008 at 5:28 AM, Robin Cornelius
> <robin.cornelius at gmail.com> wrote:

> new[]/delete mismatches are harmless with arrays of scalar types.
> Witness the almost universal new char[]/delete mismatch in basic
> string handling. It's good form to correct those if you happen to be
> in related code, but please - nobody submit a single grand sweeping
> patch correcting every array of ints.
>
> On any complex types, those are landmines. An audit only covering
> those sounds like a grand idea.

I think this was a case of premature excitement as my viewer lasted for
4 hours solid after this patch.

What is actually going on is good old fashioned memory corruption and
this is causing the new or malloc to fail. My patch was unrelated to
this condition and seemed to fix the issue when infact it did very very
little.

Robin