[sldev] Google data exchange format

John Hurliman jhurliman at jhurliman.org
Wed Jul 9 19:57:18 PDT 2008

I'm not sure LLSD-GDE (protobuf) carries any meaning. LLSD (in the abstract
sense, not one of the three serializations) defines how objects (and arrays
and key value pairs and so on) are set/accessed in code, and protobuf
generates a series of classes that define how you set/access objects in
code. libprotobuf also provides methods to hook in new
serialization/deserialization methods. LLSD, LL's message template system,
and protobuf all do the exact same thing in slightly different ways. You can
implement message_template in protobuf or make an LLSD-Binary serializer for
protobuf for fun and profiling/comparison (the SL protocol already
implements message_template in LLSD-XML to complete the circle), but I don't
think it would make sense to use a mashup of two or three of the systems as
a standard.

John