Contribution agreements (Re: [sldev] What is the point of firstlook and giving feedback to LL)

Argent Stonecutter secret.argent at gmail.com
Tue Apr 22 20:20:40 PDT 2008

On 2008-04-22, at 11:36, Justin Ryan wrote:
> On Mon, Apr 21, 2008 at 8:31 PM, Argent Stonecutter
> <secret.argent at gmail.com> wrote:
>> On 2008-04-21, at 20:22, Justin Ryan wrote:
>>> GPL code is not valuable simply because it exists in GPL, but
>>> because
>>> it is, or should be, original ideas protected from ever being non-
>>> GPL.

>>  That's certainly a point of view.

>>  It's not shared by the entire open source community.

> Hello Argent.  The following is NOT an opinion:

>   Open-Source != Free Software

Yes, that is an opinion. It's not one I agree with. As it turns out,
I was writing free software long before RMS penned the GNU Manifesto,
so I am neither ignorant nor uneducated: I simply have a different
opinion about the value of the GPL and about Richard Stallman's right
to redefine the meaning of "free software" out from under the people
who created the community that he hijacked.