[sldev] Re: Exciting reuter's post about OpenSim - project to create open source version of SL Servers

Callum Lerwick seg at haxxed.com
Fri Sep 7 22:13:58 PDT 2007

On Sat, 2007-09-08 at 06:11 +0200, Dale Glass wrote:
> It also makes a lot of caching impossible as with no central server there's
> no universal ID for an object (probably fixable by using content based
> hashes)

A content hash, of course.

> Inventory becomes complicated, if there's no central server, where is it?
> On the user's computer? And what if they log in from another box, or lose
> their local copy?

P2P-ish technology. Its nothing but a big distributed cache anyway. It
will become as basic an internet service as DNS is. All ISPs will run a
"seed" farm for its customers. Or at least contract it out to some
really big seed farms. :)

> Then add lots and lots of possibilities for griefing to this system. Sims
> which change every texture on you to something disgusting, except to
> yourself. Sims that corrupt data slightly as it passes through them. Sims
> that monitor chat on all channels and actions of all scripts.
>

> Now don't get me wrong, this is very cool, but by removing a central server
> you'll remove one set of problems, but also put a lot of new annoying ones
> in their place.

Identify all avatars by a PGP key. Build a trust web with your friends.
All assets referenced or belonging to an avatar get signed with that
avatar's key. Combined with the referencing based on content hash, ta
da, can't slip anything in without detection.

All the pieces are there, you just have to put them together. :)