[sldev] AWG - Scope (Future SL Architecture versus Multiworld Interoperability)

Zha Ewry zha.ewry at gmail.com
Fri Oct 26 06:33:55 PDT 2007

>From my perspective, primarily technical, but, yes, I work for IBM, and yes
interoperability is something we think is very important, the goal of the
AWG is to help Linden with it's next generation architecture. Linden kicked
off the AWG process with scaling requirements based not just on the next
year or two of growth of SecondLife, but growing the approach to world wide
web scale.The broader vision of getting to web scale, and getting a broad
approach which permits that was placed on the table from the very begining.
That said, I don't think there's a lot of technical  conflict between
getting the architecture to scale, and getting it to interoperate.

The desire to allow non Linden Labs hosts to host regions and assets, is, in
fact inherently about interoperability.  From the point of view of software
design, a cluster of sims hosted by a star trek roleplaying community, and a
second life like  virtual world run by another vendor, pretty much look the
same. Make it possible to do the one, and you've largely made it possible to
do the other.

Enabling a cluster of interoperable  virtual worlds centered around the
secondLife approach would be one step to a much broader interoperability
story. Growing beyond that, to standards which would allow very disparate
virtual worlds to connect and interoperate is a longer term, broader effort,
one which would both inform the AWG and be informed by the AWG's work.

When Zero talked about goals, and schedule, and some of these issues, he
made it very clear that Linden is going to be balancing short term needs to
evolve SecondLife and keep it growing, and stable, as well as the longer
term goals. I fully expect that at times, as a community, this will lead to
Linden pushing ahead on some features they need before there is a complete
community centered AWG story, and sometimes, the AWG is going to lay out
something that's needed by the larger community, which Linden won't
immediately implement. This may lead to some interesting short term
challenges, but long term, I don't see it as a major challenge

- Zha .