[sldev] Optimus Prim vs. Megatrim: "The Big Prim Problem"

Argent Stonecutter secret.argent at gmail.com
Wed Oct 17 12:10:26 PDT 2007

On 17-Oct-2007, at 13:31, Dzonatas wrote:
> Argent Stonecutter wrote:
>> Just thinking of the obvious ways this could break makes me want
>> to run screaming.
>
> After you run wild and scream away, just list them.

Just ask yourself why linksets aren't already handled the way you
suggest. They could be.

> For example, look at sculpties. The sculpt map is exposed.

That was an optimization in programmer time.

It's also not what you're talking about here, it's not an inner
attribute of prims that was exposed to allow optimization, it's a new
prim type that's exposed in a particular way because it was easy to do.

Also, it would have been better to accept an existing standard mesh
or nurb format, rather than a texture map. Making it a texture map
has required the development of tools that wouldn't have been necessary.

No, sculpties are hardly a good example.

The point is that they were simple to implement, and they solved a
simple problem in a way that isn't too bad. What you're talking about
is complex and creates more problems than it solves.

I'm still not sure it actually solves ANY problems.