[sldev] [META][AWG]log chat of AWG meeting Friday, Oct 5, 2007

Andre Roche roamingryozu at gmail.com
Thu Oct 11 07:49:05 PDT 2007

On 10/11/07, Argent Stonecutter <secret.argent at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 11-Oct-2007, at 04:27, Lawson English wrote:
> > Currently, the asset server learns about just about anything you've
> > done to the asset in your inventory. I believe that includes
> > renaming it.
>
> Does it actually create a new asset when you copy a texture?
>
> I thought they didn't create a new asset until you modified the
> actual data, and for assets like textures that never happened.

Right, except properties such as Modify/Copy/Transfer, Owner, Etc.
Currently, copying a texture or changing these values does not give a
new Asset ID, however.

> I'm pretty sure that creating a new copy of an asset doesn't create a
> new asset, otherwise they wouldn't be so big on the whole "scripts
> can't create assets so they can't edit notecards" things... because
> then a script would beat up on the asset server every time it rezzed
> something in world.
Actually, rezzing prim objects in world does give each new object a
new Asset ID.  Guns DO beat up on the asset server.

> When you have multiple domains you want to be able to defer hitting
> the asset server even more than you do now.
>
> Which is the whole point to this separation of data and properties
> that I'm talking about.

Seems that's the way it already is more or less.

> Oh, and Dirk, when you go from region A to region B your T-shirt
> won't vanish, because your T-shirt is part of your baked texture, and
> that will just be uploaded to the new region from the client. In
> fact, since baking textures is between the client and the asset
> server, I'm not sure that it would need to involve the region at all.

Baked textures should inherit the permissions of the assets it was
baked from.  There's no point otherwise in any of this region
restriction.

Honestly, I think region to region asset management is as simple as
identity management.  Your inventory is very much a part of your
identity.  Identity servers may allow/restrict logging into 3rd party
regions.  In such a case, your avatar would be defined by whatever
identity you did log into a region with.  Sparing that, you become
could use a default fallback appearance (Ruth anyone?)