[sldev] [META][AWG]log chat of AWG meeting Friday, Oct 5, 2007

dirk husemann hud at zurich.ibm.com
Mon Oct 8 23:58:40 PDT 2007

Argent Stonecutter wrote:
> On 08-Oct-2007, at 22:30, Callum Lerwick wrote:
>> No. Look at files on your disk. Metadata such as filename, its
>> permissions, creation dates etc, are not part of the file itself.
> Metadata, properties, whatever you call them. I think we're on the
> same page.
> The metadata on the asset in the original domain is managed using that
> domain's tools, but when it's copied the metadata on the copy is
> copied and maintained separately whether the reference to the original
> asset is cached or not.
> That way you can have a copy of a texture in your inventory and change
> the description on your copy without having to create a new asset and
> independently of whether you've got a cached copy of the asset data.
> So we have the following states:
> Master - This is what's referred to by the URL, and it's managed by
> the domain the asset server at that URL is in.
> Reference - This is what's maintained in the local domain. It has a
> copy of the metadata as it was when the reference was made. It may be
> updated if the local metadata isn't changed, but it doesn't have to be.
> Cache - This is a reference plus a locally cached copy of the metadata.
> Copy - a cache or a reference with the metadata modifiable and
> independent of the original. Equivalent to a copy in your inventory.
> Master Copy - a copy exported by an agent who has the rights to modify
> the original. Changes to the metadata on this copy may be reflected on
> the original when it's re-imported to the original domain, if that
> domain allows it.
just trying to rephrase in terms of data + meta data:

master: original data + original meta data on original asset server
reference: reference to data + copy of original meta data, meta data can
be freshed (on local domain)
cache: copy of data + copy of original meta data (in client?)
copy: copy or reference to data + modifiable metadata
master copy: exported modified copy of data + exported modified meta
data (assuming agent may modify), may update master.

i'm a bit unclear on copy and master copy:
- copy: currently when i have a no-modify object i cannot rename for
example, are you proposing to allow an agent to rename? how about

- master copy: if it's a copy that's been modified, then that should
really be a new asset.

how about we just follow what john's been suggesting: asset = data +
meta data. whoever needs to cache, copies data + meta data.
whoever wants to modify the meta data does so IFF the permissions allow
for that. meta data always contains reference to original meta data. if
i modify the data, i get a new asset.

wouldn't that be all that we need to define from an architecture point
of view? bear with me if i'm too dense again, please...

dr dirk husemann, pervasive computing, ibm zurich research lab
--- hud at zurich.ibm.com --- +41 44 724 8573 --- SL: dr scofield