[sldev] CAPTCHA to validate land sales.

Argent Stonecutter secret.argent at gmail.com
Wed Oct 3 08:17:14 PDT 2007

On 03-Oct-2007, at 09:39, Dale Glass wrote:
> On Wed, Oct 03, 2007 at 09:20:24AM -0500, Argent Stonecutter wrote:
>> On 03-Oct-2007, at 08:36, Dale Glass wrote:
>>> Now that it's pretty much impossible to set land for sale
>>> accidentally,
>>> why do we need to stop bots from buying land?

>> Because bots distort the land market, were largely responsible for
>> starting the huge bubble in land prices last year, and put people who
>> are not running bots (that is, almost everyone) at a huge
>> disadvantage. Preventing bots from buying land would level the
>> playing field.

> You will still have land bots.

Fair enough, yes, you can use human-assisted bots. But once you bring
a human into the loop, you might as well let that human look at the
land the bot is buying, and decide whether to actually buy it.
Because putting the human in the loop at all makes it expensive
enough that bots that just blindly buy based on area and price no
longer have the same kind of advantage, and you won't get the
constant push-up in the price of marginal plots that's keeping the
price inflated at the low end.