[sldev] Packaging the viewer for Linux distributions

Bryan O'Sullivan bos at lindenlab.com
Mon Oct 1 10:45:55 PDT 2007

Callum Lerwick wrote:

> Which is why LL should focus on working with Linux distributions to get
> Second Life into the distributions themselves, rather than distributing
> binary blobs.

We're happy to see people packaging the viewer for different Linux
distributions (for example, I'm watching the Fedora packaging tasks),
and willing to help out where we can.  I've done quite a bit of work to
make it easier to build a standalone viewer, for example.

If there are specific things you'd like to see done, file JIRA tasks,
and we'll plug away at them as the opportunity presents itself.  If you
want to file an umbrella task and connect the subtasks to it so that
it's easier to see which ones are intended to ease distro integration,
all the better.

Obviously, there are enough distros out there that we can't devote
significant resources to each one individually, but that doesn't mean we
lack enthusiasm for the idea.  Tell us how we can help you most
effectively, and we'll pitch in.

	<b