[sldev] [VWR] QT sucks and gstreamer's broken

Callum Lerwick seg at haxxed.com
Fri Nov 2 12:14:43 PDT 2007

On Fri, 2007-11-02 at 10:42 -0700, Kamilion wrote:
> > Also, please, for the love of god, do not drag Flash into Second Life.
> Far, farrrr too late -- SL's preexisting Quicktime support supports
> Flash version 5 displays on media textures. I've got a nice scrolling
> flash clock as my media texture at my workspace parcel:
> http://www.designegg.com/insertmonkey/clock.swf

Bah, Quicktime sucks on Windows.

1) I can't figure out how to encode anything it will play without paying
Apple. Last I tried, it refused to even play plain old MPEG1.
2) The updater constantly insists on installing iTunes. I chose the
Quicktime only installer for a reason. I DON'T WANT ITUNES!

I installed QT so I could play the CSI thing, and I'm really regretting
it.

gstreamer seems to be very broken in 1.18.4.1, and from what I
understand its been broken for a while. I took a shot at fixing it but
it seems its an arcane threading issue with glib and damned if I know
how to fix it. I really want to work on using it to get audio streaming
in OpenAL but it's b0rked. Should I Jira this?