[sldev] Croquet videos

Lawson English lenglish5 at cox.net
Thu Nov 1 15:54:14 PDT 2007

Argent Stonecutter wrote:
> On 01-Nov-2007, at 16:19, Anthony Bundy wrote:
>> You can drag and drop textures and videos into SL? When did that
>> become available?
>
> You can upload textures into SL. You could make it more convenient,
> yes, but you could duplicate that demo in SL. The moderate convenience
> of being able to drag a prepared image off your hard drive instead of
> uploading it and then dragging it onto a prim is more than
> counterbalanced by the overall clumsiness of croquet.
>
> Video, OK, you CAN do streaming video in SL but it's really
> inconvenient, and you can upload little animated clips like that as
> animated textures, but it's still less convenient. But all in all I'd
> still say Croquet is trailing SL.

On the creation of content front, absolutely. Plopp isn' available for
Croquet, but PloppSL is already shipping.

Where Croquet shines is allowing collaboratation, but only in very small
worlds, or so it seems to me.

To do genuine Croquet-like collaboration, a relatively small group of
clients are going to have to establish a P2P network with each other.
But I think that there's plenty of room for growth before the non-P2P
limit is reached.

Lawson