[sldev] Reformatting Textures for the cache

Morse Dillon morse at morsedillon.com
Thu Mar 22 13:56:43 PDT 2007

Boroondas Gupte wrote:
> Morse Dillon wrote:
>> For the naysayers, this is how production e-mail servers like Postfix
>> handle their data.  If one thinks about it, a filesystem is
>> practically the very definition of the kind of lookup db needed for
>> this cache system.  It would be even better if we had access to a
>> filesystem like ReiserFS on Windows and OS X that excels in handling
>> piles of small files.
> We can't ask Windows users to provide a ReiserFS disk or partition or
> alike. So what about a file-system-in-a-file? (like those ISO-FS CD
> images) I don't know if that would destroy performance again.
>
> If not, we'd need drivers and some way to mount files as drives. For
> Linux (and I guess, for Mac also), that's already available. Windows
> might pose problems, though. (A quick search tells, drivers are
> available, but I don't know how reliable they are nor if it would be
> possible to somehow include them into SL)

I think you're attaching a little too much weight to my ReiserFS
comment...  Also, the sort of hoops you're describing would be a step
backwards if you think about it.

Someone made a comment earlier that perhaps NTFS handles piles of small
files well, in which case the many-files cache would still perform
acceptably.

-M