[sldev] First Look (VC8 compillation)

Thomas Rowland tom at cornish-pasty.com
Mon Mar 19 19:08:01 PDT 2007

There appears to be some broken up threads RE: VC 8 building with the First
Look source.
(the following has been added as a comment on

Just so a solution is here (well one that worked for me on Sunday).

I rolled back to opening the older VC solution.
Then updated each of the converted projects, appending the Preprocessor

And turned off 'Treat wchar_t as Built-in type' in Language.

I updated the newview project Linker Input to use the vc8 boost and llmozlib
:o) libraries;
libboost_regex-vc80-mt-s.lib and llmozlib-vc80.lib

After successful compilation, with the exception of the test project, which
fails to link (and always has done so for me with vc8), I needed some files;
static_data.db2 & static_index.db2 (VWR-256). I 'pinched' copies from the
binary release app_settings folder.
And from my Firefox 2.0 install folder, I 'pinched' (into the newview
folder) copies of;
smime3.dll, softokn3.dll, softokn3.chk (presumably needed), softokn3.dll,
nss3.dll, and ssl3.dll

It is also worth note that the UI textures are still a separate download (or
copy over from the binary), and that the link to them may be missed because
its placement is so far below the source code link on the page.

Attached are copies of the project files I have, set up to build ReleseNoOpt
& ReleaseForDownload.

Checked by AVG Free Edition.