[sldev] GPLed submissions

Callum Lerwick seg at haxxed.com
Fri Mar 16 21:34:55 PDT 2007

On Fri, 2007-03-16 at 23:07 -0400, Jason Giglio wrote:
> > It appears the only critical non-GPL dependency is APR. Just replace APR
> > with, say, glib (on Linux, we link with it already for GTK...) and we
> > have a fully GPL-clean slviewer...
> >

> Nope.  I did a license audit earlier today to update the page:
>
> https://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Third_Party_Libraries
>
> Looks like the list is:
>
> APR
> *Cg

Only trace of it I can find is a comment in indra/llwindow/llglstubs.h,
and the fact that the Cg license is still included in all the
licenses-*.txt files. Maybe that should get cleaned out. :)

> FMOD

Not critical.

> Kakadu

Already replaceable with OpenJPEG.

!@#$

> SmartHeap

Optional, and only used on windows.

> SpeedTree

I don't know where this one came from. And it looks like Rob Linden just
removed it from the list anyway. :)

> Cg is noted as "not used in the normal client" whatever that means.  Is
> there some abnormal client, or does FL use it?

It was mentioned elsewhere that LL experimented with Cg early on, but
dumped it in favor of GLSL.

> OpenSSL is the biggest other sticking point if you don't consider sound
> critical.

I was using critical to mean "Can't compile or run the viewer without".
So by my definition, no, sound is not critical. ;P

So... APR and OpenSSL are the blockers preventing full GPL. Open Source
is good enough for me, implementing OpenAL is much higher priority in my
book... :)