[sldev] message_template.msg ordering and packing : attentionLLfolks

John Plevyak jplevyak at acm.org
Fri Mar 16 10:59:45 PDT 2007

Agreed.  What we need is a standardized protocol specification which
can be implemented without reference to other code.  The current
message_template.msg file is not that for a number of reasons:

- the version number doesn't rev when the protocol changes
- it doesn't provide encodings (binary/XER/ASN.1/XMP-RPC)
- it doesn't cover everything, e.g. the critical Data portion of ImprovedTerseObjectUpdate
- it doesn't handle variant records (e.g. the Data portion of ImprovedTerseObjectUpdate)
- it doesn't describe message semantics

I am going to go to Zero's office hours, I hope I can see some of you
with the good ideas there.

john