[sldev] Voice=Proprietary

Boroondas Gupte datenmuellabfuhr at nurfuerspam.de
Tue Mar 13 08:15:41 PDT 2007

Callum Lerwick schrieb:
> On Mon, 2007-03-12 at 12:08 -0700, Soft Noel wrote:
>
>> SLDev hasn't a long enough track record to allow LL to rationally rely on
>> the open source community for a voice solution -- that's the case now, and
>> was certainly more so whenever LL pulled the trigger on Vivox. Vivox was a
>> sure thing, while LL couldn't even guess whether the open source community
>> would have delivered.
>>

> Wait wait wait wait. Why does LL need to rely on the open source
> community? We're not their crutch. Besides, thinking of LL as being
> something separate from the open source community is *exactly* where
> most of our problems currently lie.
>
> Join your own community, Linden Lab. Use the same public SCM, and the
> same public bugtracker as the rest of us. Make decisions in public.
That would be the old question of the cathedral and the bazaar
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Cathedral_and_the_Bazaar>. Linden Lab
will have to make clear where they see their open source efforts on the
scale between those extreme paradigms. They are of course free to
redefine that for every single part of the project. I has not to be the
same for the entire thing and also might change over time. Anyhow I
think it would help community developers a lot if the status quo
concerning this was known as well as LL's plans about where to go from
there.

I don't know if LL has worked this out for themselves, yet. If not they
should now ;-)

Boroondas