[sldev] Group IMs

Jonathan Wolk jwolk at lindenlab.com
Mon Mar 12 17:06:35 PDT 2007

Bane,
    Short version:
    Closing tab means "I don't care for this given conversation"

    Long version:
    I can shed a little bit of light on this......the current behavior
on agni (which may be buggy but I think it's sort of grown organically
to be this way) is that you can think of each time you have a group IM
it is a "conversation".
    If you are starting a new conversation with the group (no one else
in the group is already in a group IM) then every group member (who is
online)  receives the message and every group member is "in the
conversation" so to speak.
    When someone closes their group IM tab, they leave the conversation
and no longer receive any group IMs for this given conversation
instance.  If you try to start a new group IM and one is already active,
you are added to the session although you may be under the false
assumption that then EVERY group member is in it.  So yeah closing the
tab stops most (not all*) communication.
    I hope this helps.

-Jonathan

*They will receive messages again once everyone has left the previous
conversation and all the online group members are looked up again.