[sldev] Re: Second Life User Experience

Kelly Washington kelly at lindenlab.com
Mon Mar 12 16:00:13 PDT 2007

Hahah Jesse, I created that category (and moved the two issues there
from where they were) just for an inventory design discussion.

A lot of the ideas make the UI more complex I think.  Add an option, a
checkbox, a dialog etc etc.  Right now our inventory is already too
complicated for new users with few items and not powerful enough for
advanced users with thousands of items.  In the end we end up with an
inventory that is not good for anyone.   At the same time, making it
more complex, adding filters and links and more and more is not likely
to make it really usable for anyone but the most hard core willing to
wade through options and try everything until they get something that works.

I think something drastic is probably needed to make our inventory
actually work, and I'd love to be part of a discussion about it.  I
think we need less windows, less options.  We need better default
behavior and we need slick UI that just works.

With the goal of a system that is more powerful, works how we expect and
is easier for new users and old alike I have drafted an Inventory
Design.  This was written from the top of my head this morning after
watching this email thread, based on thoughts I already had.  Please
feel free to tear it apart - on the Discussion page!  Please let me
maintain the actual document, I will try to update it based on the
discussion page.

I tried to make things simpler but I'm a victim of feature creep as much
as anyone.  This is not an existing project, no Linden resources have
been devoted to it (except for the morning I spent writing it).  Keep
that in mind when discussing it.  :)

 - Kelly

Jesse Nesbitt wrote:
> I agree, tags would be nice. Someone should write that up in the design
discussions area of the wiki
(https://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Category:Design_Discussions )