[sldev] Voice=Proprietary

Tom 'spot' Callaway tcallawa at redhat.com
Sun Mar 11 19:10:09 PDT 2007

On Sun, 2007-03-11 at 09:41 -0500, Tom 'spot' Callaway wrote:
> On Sat, 2007-03-10 at 21:38 -0600, David Fries wrote:
> > Let's see how proprietary it is.  It's in a separate process and it is
> > going to have to do three things.
> >
> > 1. communicate with the Second Life client
> > 2. encode from the microphone and decode to the speaker
> > 3. send and receive network packets with the voice servers
> >
> > Current status,
> >
> > 1. I looked for "voice" in the latest First Look sources and didn't
> > find it.  Assuming the source is released in future clients, we would
> > know what API the processes use to communicate and what is being sent.
> > If it was a binary loadable library the hooks have to be there in the
> > source code that is release, then we could be free to write our own
> > API to another process or do it all in one binary.
> >
> > 2. The codec is listed as being Siren14.  Anyone have code for this?
>
> Polycom does. Their licensing is a little unique, but it looks like it
> might even be GPL-compatible. I've thrown the license document to the
> FSF for consideration, and will report back what they say.

The FSF says it is not Free or GPL compatible:

It's definitely neither.  The license requires you to use Polycom's
trademarks in any products you create, and then lets Polycom force you
to make changes if they decide your product isn't worthy of that
trademark.
This amounts to a restriciton on distribution and modification.  Worse,
you don't know ahead of time what the restriction is -- Polycom can
decide at any time for pretty much any reason that they want to stop
you, and do so.

So much for that idea. :/

~spot