[sldev] Second Life User Experience

Boroondas Gupte datenmuellabfuhr at nurfuerspam.de
Sun Mar 11 15:30:46 PDT 2007

[Ooops, sorry for the direct mail, Jesse, this should have gone to the
list of course ...]

Jesse Nesbitt schrieb:
> Alright, I'll try to address some of these concerns as I see them
>
> On 3/11/07, *Bane Darrow* <banedarrow at gmail.com
> <mailto:banedarrow at gmail.com>> wrote:
>
>     * Too many things move or turn your character or camera by
>     side-effect.
>

> You're quite right, things do move your camera a bit too much
>
>          * Right click to edit something turns your avatar to face it.
>     This has gotten in my way many times
>

> I haven't had trouble with this one in particular.
>
>          * Editing appearance does an excruciating slow camera
>     movement before the window opens. I cannot disable this.
>

> Yeah, that's no good. A direct snap would be the best thing to do.
>
>          * After editing appearance, your AV twists around on you.
>

> That's a bit annoying, but I don't run into it too often.
That happens if you turn the camera while editing appearance to see
what'll be the effect to your AVs back. When leaving edit appearance
mode the camery cycles onother one (to show your AV from behind) but
ends up showing its front. So this could be fixed if leaving appearance
mode wouldn't trigger a 180° turn of the camera but a reset of the
camera instead (like the [esc] key does).

>          * I'm sure there are others. Any time my camera or avatar
>     moves without me explicitly instructing it, I think this is a BAD
>     experience.
>

> That's a pretty blanket statement. What about scripts moving your cam,
> etc?
>
>     * Inventory becomes essentially unmanageable when you've been
>     around a while and collected a lot. We need better organizing
>     besides Folders/Search
>

> I really don't know what other way to display inventory aside from a
> straight tree structure.
The only other I could think of would be a data base like
representation. But this would be much worse than a tree. However the
tree expeariance could be greatly improved by allowing symlinks to
folders and items. As such links could be resolved clientside this might
reduce the asset server load as well (as a lot of residents will prefer
using links instead of copies in certain scenarios).

>     * Make the console windows movable
>

> They're debug consoles, they really don't need to move
Well, if you need several of the debug info's at the same time, it can
be kind of a mess because of them overlapping, I guess. Also the FPS
window (whichs info's are often needet by Mentors and Life Helpers to
help residents with graphic problems) hiding behind the default location
of the mini map is -- well -- suboptimal.

>     * Clicking the menu a second time should close it... (Thought I
>     saw this in some patch notes)
>

> I'm not sure what you mean by this, can you explain?
If you click a menu to open it (like, you click on 'Tools') and click
the same top-entry again (click again on 'Tool') this should close the
menu. Why? Because Users are used to that from Windows and also most
Unix Desktops, so they expect such behaviour.

Boroondas