[sldev] Voice =/= Proprietary

Joe Miller joe at lindenlab.com
Sat Mar 10 22:18:08 PST 2007

It is true that the implementation is a pair of separate processes.  The
viewer launches and exchanges xml control information with the Vivox
gateway process (via a protocol that's fully transparent in the viewer
source) and the gateway makes calls to the Diamondware process that
handles 3D positional audio.  The wireline protocols for the TVC (thin
voice client) will be fully documented, if the full source is not provided.

We're fully committed to open source.  The voice project has been in the
works for a long time and we're still wringing out the details of how
this implementation will not become "another GPL incompatibility."
We're in an early technical beta now and will be making changes as we
move toward a grid-wide beta in April.  The source for the voice-enabled
client will be made available as a new "First Look" branch when we open
the beta2 phase on the production grid.

I'll be happy to post more about this as we get closer to our release,
but the codecs in use for voice are standard.  We're using G.711 and
G.722.1 (annex C) both of which are described in relevant ITU
specifications.  We use RTP as media transport - the standard payload
type is used for G.711 and a custom tag for G.722.1(C).  The control
protocol is SIP (RFC 3261).

-- Joe