[sldev] Lip-sync

Callum Lerwick seg at haxxed.com
Mon Mar 5 03:43:24 PST 2007

On Mon, 2007-03-05 at 09:48 +0000, Tofu Linden wrote:
> The only obvious thing which FMOD (trivially) handles for us which
> OpenAL doesn't, is net-streamed music.
>
> That could be replaced by libcurl hacks or something like ezstream.
> However, I'm currently working on integrating GStreamer support
> into the client for streaming video as an alternative to QuickTime,
> which would then be pretty easy to adapt to also use as a replacement
> streaming audio implementation (with bonus reliable vorbis support,
> etc).  At least for unixers...

Yeah, that was the one hitch. OpenAL isn't as kitchen-sink-ey as fmod.
Audio streaming would need help from somewhere else. GStreamer is the
way to go on Linux especially if its going to be used for video anyway,
as it would allow users to easily slot in an mp3 codec at runtime, but
doesn't do Windows and OSX much good. May just have to live with
different platform specific backends, Windows Media on Win32, Quicktime
on OSX, as that leaves getting an MP3 codec license
Microsoft/Apple/Fluendo's problem. Unless Linden Lab actually has its
own license...