[sldev] Re: Plugin architecture

Callum Lerwick seg at haxxed.com
Fri Mar 2 21:56:08 PST 2007

On Sat, 2007-02-24 at 16:10 -0800, Baba wrote:
> Callum Lerwick wrote:
> > Proprietary plugins are completely and totally antithetical to the
> > purpose of the GPL. Linden Lab has decided to share their source code
> > with all of us, under the terms of the GPL. If you think you have any
> > right to benefit from the viewer source without sharing with the
> > community, you're wrong. Unless LL has granted you a different
> > license...
> >
> This has nothing to do with closed source development.   The same way
> Apache httpd or Firefox are able to be extended, the Second Life client
> should be extensible. Nobody needs every extension nor wants the same
> things from the software that another person wants.  I am absolutely
> sure nobody wants a client that does every little thing anyone could want.

You're missing the "subtle" distinction. Apache is *not* GPL, it is
under the "Apache License".

http://www.apache.org/licenses/GPL-compatibility.html

Firefox is tri-licenced MPL/GPL/LGPL:

http://www.mozilla.org/MPL/

slviewer is currently GPL, and only GPL. The GPL very explicitly
disallows proprietary "derived works". This means plugins. So unless the
license changes, sorry, no proprietary plugins.

> As for the GPL, it will be honored to the letter of the law. Any
> commitment beyond that is left up to the individual. I don't let Richard
> M. Stallman stand by me and whisper sweet nothings into my ear. Honestly
> he creeps me out.

Hey, *I* didn't choose the license...

Better RMS than ESR:

http://geekz.co.uk/lovesraymond/