[sldev] Re: Plugin architecture

Mike Monkowski monkowsk at watson.ibm.com
Thu Feb 22 11:55:24 PST 2007

Dale Glass wrote:
> LSL scripts will never be able to do some things. Like for example changing
> how rendering works. Or integrating things like text to speech and voip.

The reason I asked about plugins is because I'm trying to figure out how
to implement lip-sync.  After looking at the code and reading the
replies in this forum, I can't see how a plugin could ever work for
lip-sync.  I can't see rendering being done in a plugin either.  TTS
probably could because TTS can get text from the message stream and add
to the audio stream.

It seems to me that plugins must have limited capabilities based on
limited access to data.

LSL operates on objects, so it would make sense that if you want to
operate on objects in a way that's currently not possible, extend LSL.
If you want to operate on the message stream, then use a message stream
plugin.  I could imagine audio plugins and access to floaters that you
could fill with whatever content you like, but I can't imagine access to
all of the internal data from a plugin.

Mike