[sldev] Where is communication occuring, mailing list or IRC?

Rob Lanphier robla at lindenlab.com
Wed Feb 14 11:39:57 PST 2007

On 2/14/07 11:21 AM, Tim Shephard wrote:
> Hey Rob, some miscommunication is obviously occuring.
>
> Can you let us know where you're going to communicate decisions in
> IRC, or on the mailing list?
>
> I had been under the impression that it was going to happen on the
> mailing list, but apparently things are are being discussed and
> decided elswhere.
>
> Not a problem, but some consistency would be appreciated.
Unofficial discussions can happen anywhere (including at my office
hour), but "official" discussions need to happen here.

The goal is not to slow people down unnecessarily.  Often times,
real-time communication is the fastest way to get things done.  However,
I also don't want to leave anyone out of the discussion who can't be
there for a real-time discussion.  Hence, as far as I'm concerned, the
discussion that happened this morning didn't really happen until it gets
documented on this mailing list  :)

I'll restate the important points I made during our discussion this
morning.  I think the way forward is to document the choices considered,
the rough consensus, and the plan moving forward, and put it all here:
https://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Plugin_architecture

...then send out mail to the mailing list for comment.  Looks like
there's been work on that page; if you don't agree with what's going on
there, feel free to either put a comment on the talk page, or send out a
"whoa, wait a sec" to this mailing list.

The current state of that page seems to reflect the rough consensus so
far, but doesn't yet have a fair summary of the options considered. I'm
hoping its still a work in progress, given that I haven't yet seen
anyone claim to be done with the work.

If you want to have a real-time conversation with me personally, then
get my attention either in-world, or on the #opensl IRC channel on
irc.efnet.org if I'm not around.  Just understand (per what I've
described on IRC before) that getting me to agree that something is
reasonable is not the same as getting Linden Lab to agree to something,
and that if you're trying to get the general attention of Linden Lab or
want me to make sure that LL is aware of something, this mailing list is
the best way to do it.

Rob