[sldev] Plugin API Architecture for Second Life

Ben Byer sldev at bushing.mm.st
Tue Feb 13 15:11:13 PST 2007

On Feb 13, 2007, at 1:42 PM, Tim Shephard wrote:

> I'll agree - patch first, think later - it's a lot more entertaining
> doing things that way.
>
> Unfortunately, I can't really afford to be a part of that methodology,
> as I'm no longer a university student.   But I'll be happy to use
> whatever you folks come up with.

Me neither, but I don't have time to argue over what color to paint
the bikeshed; coming up with a prototype sidesteps a lot of that.

@ Linden Lab:

It sounds like splitting chunks of the viewer code into dynamically-
loaded chunks is a win-win situation:

* Plugins could then link against that code
* Dynamic chunks could be updated without disturbing the rest of the
viewer
* The same mechanisms could be used to create plugins
* Infrequently-used functions (estate manager, etc?) could defer

Given that I can't sign a code-contribution agreement, how can I help
with this effort?

-b