[sldev] Upcoming viewer releases?

Soft Linden soft at lindenlab.com
Tue Aug 28 15:31:26 PDT 2007

On 8/28/07, Dirk Moerenhout <blakar at gmail.com> wrote:
> One thing I'm really waiting for is true differentiation between
> production and beta. As in:
> You NEVER release a production version that has had no beta testing
> (including source release).
>
> While at first this may seem as if it'll slow you down it has the
> advantage that the more obvious simple bugs can be fixed in advance.
> It also makes it more worthwhile to do some testing. Now we're always
> late as a bug that can be fixed in 5 minutes may still take weeks to
> be fixed because source wasn't released in time.
>
> As for examples: for what I know, all true open source projects work
> this way :-)

It's a fair comment, and something we can do something about. :)

We rattled this around at LL and should be doing weekly source drops,
or timing source drops with our own major cross-branch merges. This
should give more lead time before releases, and will result in smaller
diffs between revisions. I'm hoping we get more criticism of our *own*
code this way, and patches won't be in that pointless
"fixed-internally" limbo for so long.