[sldev] Improving the avatar in SL: hair...

SL - Farallon Greyskin sl at phoca.com
Fri Aug 24 10:18:13 PDT 2007

Heh,

Have seen people "fake" this effect in SL several times.

It looks.. interesting. Sometimes good, but a little odd as you move around.
Though most people only use maybe... 6-10 layers at most. the 60 looks
pretty nice! One problem in SL is that the alpha sorting problem ruins it a
lot.

I wonder if the use of the shader would affect that or not? Since it would
be generating a transparent texture on several nested surfaces right? The
shader needs something to shade... Being a seal in SL, I can imagine (and
kind of shudder to think) of someone putting 60 layers of fur over every
prim on their av :to fur their entire body... Having seen how people are
putting over 100 floppies on an single av (along with 2-3 prims lights,
Ugh!)

Would be fun to play with though :)

Larry