[sldev] Re: Plugin Licensing (was: Why Linden Labs needs to let the community extend the client without asking for their IP)

Jason Giglio gigstaggart at gmail.com
Sun Apr 8 12:01:40 PDT 2007

Mike Dickson wrote:
> Not sure that I'd make the assumption that Python somehow absolves me of
> the GPL.  I suppose it depends on how the plugin interface works. But
> thats fairly language agnostic anyway.

Of course it would.

If I write a program in PHP, I don't have to worry about licensing my
program to be compatible with the PHP license, or the Apache License.
The Apache license isn't GPL compatible, and yet there are plenty of
GPLed PHP scripts!

Apache-PHP-script

SL-interpreter plugin-plugin script

SL and interpreter plugin become merely the platform that the plugins
are running on, just as Apache and PHP might be your platform that your
PHP scripts run on.

-Jason