[sldev] Texture Garbage Collection (was Re: UMA Grid - Offline for a bit)

James Cook james at lindenlab.com
Sun Apr 8 07:36:56 PDT 2007

There is garbage collection, but as you noted it is very slow.
Basically we scan the entire world dataset, including inventory items,
region state files (textures on objects, textures as inventory items
inside objects) and assets (notecards and script text).  Anything that
looks like a texture UUID is added to a list, then textures (well, all
assets really) that aren't on the list are deleted.

So if you have a raw key reference to a texture inside a script the
texture will not be garbage collected.  If it is, then our garbage
collector is broken.  (It has broken in the past.  We don't immediately
delete the garbage -- we keep it around for a few days just in case we
screwed something up so we can put it back.)

If you do something silly like this, though, the texture will be garbage
collected:

key texture_id = (key)("12345678-abcd-abcd-" + "abcd-123456789012");

:-)

James