[sldev] Why Linden Labs needs to let the community extend the client without asking for their IP

Tim Shephard tshephard at gmail.com
Fri Apr 6 17:54:58 PDT 2007

Is there a specific part you disagree with?

a) LL is suffering from scalability issues
b) LL is falling behind in the feature races as competitors gather
c) SL has a large developer community that could create the features LL is not
d) That developer community needs realistic incentive to extend the client
e) Owning IP rights would give that incentive
ergo..
f) Give us IP rights to write plugins.

Would it help if I drew you a picture?