[sl-ux] [UXIG] Topic for Nov 25: Building

Robin Cornelius robin.cornelius at gmail.com
Thu Nov 27 13:51:27 PST 2008

Jacek Antonelli wrote:
> Our topic for this week's UXIG meeting: Building.
>
> We'll be talking about ways to improve the SL building tools,
> usability issues that affect builders, and other fun stuff like that!
>
> As usual, join us Thursday from 3-4PM at Benjamin Linden's office for
> the discussion: http://slurl.com/secondlife/Beaumont/148/155/46/

The hour's a little late for my timezone so I will add some comments here.

Something i would love to see is the ability to "snap" or align objects
together based on certain criteria. One of the most annoying things is
aligning objects with perfect centres or perfect edges, with out
resorting to direct editing of the numbers. Being able to snap a prim to
a mid point or centre of another prim for instance would make building
easier, or even just align in X/Y or Y/Z etc axis pairs, set prims to
common axis... you get the picture.

These kind of tools are fairly common on 3D applications, AutoCad for
instance has a whole handful of align and snap tools which make working
with objects much easier. I'm not saying we need every single snap tool
AutoCad or some other package has, but a small subset probably could be
identified as most useful or common within the bounds of SL and SL's prims.

Regards

Robin