[sl-ux] Feedback Please: Reorganized Menus

Jacek Antonelli jacek.antonelli at gmail.com
Sat Jul 5 11:56:52 PDT 2008

On Sat, Jul 5, 2008 at 8:22 AM, Boroondas Gupte
<sllists at boroon.dasgupta.ch> wrote:

>> - Move "Environment Settings" from "Tools > Photography" to "Explore"
>>

> Wouldn't that rather belong into "View"? It affects how you see the
> world/what can be seen, as do "Hide Particles" and "Highlight Transparent"

Fair point. I'll have to think about that a bit, though.

>> - Get rid of the "Tools > Photography" menu, and just put the snapshot
>> entries directly in Tools (there are only two).
>>

> Maybe move the Snapshot stuff of the "Advanced" menu there?

Ah, thank you! I had been planning to do that originally, but it
slipped my mind as I was rushing before the deadline.

>> - Rename "Tools > Tool Mode" to "Mouse Tool".
>>

> Wouldn't that belong into "Building"? Maybe "Building" should become a top
> level menu, to avoid too deep menu structures.

I'm not sure about either of those. There are also the "Focus" (camera
pointing) and "Land" tools, so it doesn't fit cleanly under
"Building". And while making "Building" a top-level menu would
somewhat help make the menu structure less deep (although it's only 3
levels at its deepest, now), it would take up yet more space along the
top menu bar, which is already overcrowded.

>> - Maybe move "Stop All Animations" to be under "Avatar > Appearance" ?
>>

> I'd leave it where you've placed it now. It would would fit into "Avatar  >
> Movement" as good as into "Avatar Appearance" and probably quick access to
> it can't hurt.

Thanks for your feedback on this. :-)

>> I welcome your feedback on the new layout, both things you like and
>> things that could be improved.
>>

> Nothing in the menu "File" has actually anything to do with files (now that
> you've moved asset upload to "Tools"). Maybe that menu will need some
> renaming ...

Yes, I've noticed that most applications have a "File" menu which is
mostly non-file-related options (e.g. Firefox 3 here has 15 items in
"File", and only 3 are related to files). It's a silly convention,
really.

What do you think about calling that menu "Second Life"? Or do you
have other suggestions?

> "Toggle Fullscreen" belongs into "View" in my opinion.

Fair point.

> Also, I'd like if the "Advanced" menu was converted back into a collection
> of debug tools. So, things that have proven to be useful in everyday usage
> should be moved to one of the "normal" menus, such as "Disable Camera
> Constraints" to "View" > "Camera".

That's a good idea! Thanks. :-D

(Now if only Linden had gotten around to
http://jira.secondlife.com/browse/VWR-2896 yet, reorganizing the
Advanced menu would be quite easy... I may have to update and bump
that.)

- Jacek