Mixed reality in Second life

Hiro Pendragon hiro.pendragon at gmail.com
Sat Mar 20 10:39:56 PDT 2010

There's been a lot of work on this, actually. Linden Lab, for one, has a
variety of patents on the subject. And there have been a lot of 3rd party
hacks put together - I can also point to Ciemaar Flintoff as one person who
has created external control units for in-world interaction; as for avatar,
given the variety of animation tools available, it's really all about having
a good external hardware API.

I might also point out that "mixed reality" is a term used less to describe
1-way control units, and more about 2-way interaction between "real life"
and virtual world space. If the definition is reduced to 1-way, then each
and every virtual world interaction would be, by definition, "mixed
reality", and thus effectively there is no additional description provided
using the term. "Mixed reality" refers more to say, if there's 2-way webcam
/ SL-on-a-screen interaction with a real-space, where users in both virtual
and real space are interacting back and forth.

-Ron / Hiro

On Wed, Mar 17, 2010 at 9:33 AM, Jonathan Irvin <djfoxyslpr at gmail.com>wrote:

> I would love to interact in SL with a VR helmet and power gloves.
>
> It would be cool if SL would mimic the movements that a person in this MR
> system would do, but you would have to make it to where SL would use a
> dynamic animation system.
>

> On Wed, Mar 17, 2010 at 07:45, Rui de Almeida <ruinalmeida at gmail.com>wrote:
>
>> For my MSc course, I will have to do some work on Mixed Reality in SL.
>> Nothing done yet, but i wish to do some interaction with the avatar and
>> other objects creation and manipulation.
>> If someone has some information to share about this, i would be
>> gratefull..
>>

>> Rui
>>
>> On Wed, Mar 17, 2010 at 11:57 AM, Boroondas Gupte <
>> sllists at boroon.dasgupta.ch> wrote:

>>> was
>>> >
>>> For the joint manipulation part of that, you'll want to look into
>>> http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Puppeteering
>>>
>>> I think someone has even combined that with image based motion
>>> capturing, but I can't find the reference right now.
>>>
>>> cheers
>>> Boroondas