[opensource-dev] display names = the end of 1.x viewers?

Kelly Linden kelly at lindenlab.com
Wed Aug 18 07:45:43 PDT 2010

On Wed, Aug 18, 2010 at 6:16 AM, Argent <secret.argent at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Tue, Aug 17, 2010 at 9:55 PM, Kelly Linden <kelly at lindenlab.com> wrote:
> > (lets move this to the scripters list?)
>
> [reposted to scripters... only]
>
> > I need to refresh myself on this. There should be 3 names:
> > user name: latif.khalifa
> > full name: Latif Khalifa
> > display name: The Awesome Latif
> >
> > Most (all?) the existing LSL functions will return the 'full name'. I
> also find it confusing to use Kelly DifferentLastName as an example display
> name. This isn't about picking a new last name. It is about being just
> 'Kelly' or 'Teh Kellz'. Sorry, it was just part of what was confusing me
> about the previous examples.
>
> OK, but if my user name is "argent.stonecutter" and my display name is
> "Argent", what shows up when hovering over me?
>
> Is it something like Argent (Argent Stonecutter)
> Or is it Argent (argent.stonecutter)
>
> This is relevant to LSL, because in the latter case when a legacy
> script asks for a "name" to be entered (say to add someone to an
> access list), a naive user is unlikely to know that
> "argent.stonecutter" needs to be "Argent Stonecutter".
>
> And they're for sure not going to know that "xxxhotlipsxxx.example"
> needs to be "xXxHotLipsXxX Example".

Argent (argent.stonecutter). A naive user is unlikely to know that they need
to enter anything besides Argent. So yes, the case of "type your name" and a
script that compares what they type with something from the system will
probably break in existing scripts. Unless you update the script to use
llGetDisplayName or llGetUsername as desired. I mentioned this case in one
of my first responses on this topic.

 - Kelly